Over the Thanksgiving weekend, Shelly, Madison and I went up to my sister's place and spent the weekend visiting the Christmas markets in Valkenburg and Aachen. We also did a bit of eating, just a bit, and watched Florida beat Florida State - again.
Here are Madison and I taking a load off in Valkenburg, stopping for a cafe (for Shelly and I) and Madison's lunch.
The markets in Valkenburg are held in caves that have been used throughout the years by the locals to take shelter from invading forces; and also by U.S. soldiers during WWII. The markets are more flea market than many of the other Christmas markets, but the writings and drawings left on the cave walls make for an interesting tour.
I thought I had more pictures from the market in Aachen and the incredible feast that Tracy made, but I guess not. I guess you will just have to check out Tracy's blog.
Christmas...
My parents came over for Christmas and New Years. It was great that they made the trip over, and pretty cool that the family could get together in Europe for the holidays.
Here my mom and dad get their gluehwein fix at the Frankfurt Christmas market; gluehwein is mulled wine and tastes best in the cold at a Christmas market. It was pretty cold in Frankfurt this night so the gluehwein really hit the spot.
This was the third Christmas season we have been in Germany, and this was the first time we have made it to the market in Frankfurt - all of 20 miles away. We were pleasantly surprised and found the Frankfurt market to be one of the best we have visited. This was our last holiday season in Germany so we tried to hit a few local markets that we had not visited in the past.
My parents and I did a couple of road trips before we all headed to The Netherlands on the morning of Christmas Eve.
A Christmas Eve ritual - the reading of The Night Before Christmas. Madison had a private reading earlier in the night before she headed off for bed.
The kids were soon sent off to bed and the adults broke out the egg nog (with bourbon, of course) and finished preparing the house for the arrival of Santa Claus.
Madison of course cleaned up, not that she was interested in more than the wrapping paper.
The Ballards and the Germany McAvoys (that would be Shelly and I) got together and put together a picture collage for my parents.
We left the middle spot in the frame blank to fill with a family portrait...
...and here we all are: Mom and Dad McAvoy in back, me, Shelly, Madison, Sean, Chris, Maryn, Tracy, and Will sitting on the floor.
We took this shot at least a dozen times trying to get Madison and Maryn looking at the camera and not fussing; this was the best we could do.

No comments:
Post a Comment