Monday, March 28, 2005

Getting started

I'm just getting started on our web site and I've run into a couple problems. It turns out our IP address (that's the 180.12... number that I sent) is assigned dynamically - that is every time I restart the router, we're going to have a different IP address. So this means the IP number I sent out last week is not going to work.

There are a several free services out there that claim to monitor your dynamic IP address and send all requests to your current address. However, I've tried two of them and my testing indicates the IP address was not getting updated; I am seeking advice from their tech support to try to figure out what is going on. If I can figure out how the free service works, I'll continue with my plans to host the web site on my PC. Otherwise, I'll have to look into web hosting services.

I'll keep you updated.

No comments: